Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'm alive!


I apologize for the disappearing act, I ran off and had a baby. Now that I sort of have this taking care of 2 under two thing down, I think i can resume trying to make tasty treats. HOORAY!

The inside of these little creations.
Anyway, before my little hiatus my daughter wasn't yet eating much in the way of regular foods, she was just starting to try some solids, so, meal planning for her wasn't a thing. Now, that she's 1, I'm finding it hard to come up with ideas of things for her to eat. I scoured pinterest for ideas and found the usual food arranged to resemble animals and plants and robots and what not. None of the ideas was helpful. I did however come across a recipe that someone adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe. Their recipe was for a pepperoni & cheese kind of muffin thing that you dip in pizza sauce  (which i made and they were totally delicious). I loved the idea of this mini bread bite type thing with meat and cheese inside, because you could totally turn this same base recipe into a million other things just by tweaking a few ingredients. 
Molly loves bread, if there is bread on the table and you're attempting to feed her anything else she will refuse her food and only ask for bread. So, I wanted to make this bread bite into something that would give her the protein and vitamins she needed while still being something I knew she would eat.  So I started thinking what foods to try my first batch out with. I started with the pepperoni recipe I originally saw, and they were pretty yummy, so I decided it was safe to create my own version.

Ham & cheese was my first thought, but I needed a vegetable, obviously broccoli was the vegetable of choice, mainly because I was gonna test this out and i didn't wanna get too adventurous with ingredients. I wanted to stick with flavors I knew worked together.  So I made up a batch while Molly was napping this afternoon, knowing that when she woke up it would be lunch time and I could test them out. SHE LOVED THEM. This kid actually got excited every time she saw me grab the baggie I put them in because she knew she was getting another one. So it's safe to say, these are kid tested and approved.

Now....onto the recipe!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour (I'd like to try using whole wheat flour next time, curious how that would taste)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon BADIA Complete Seasoning
3/4 cup whole milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded cheese (your choice of cheese, I used Kraft's 4 cheddar blend)
1 cup ham, diced (i used sliced ham and diced it up but you can use any kind of ham you like)
1 cup Broccoli spears diced into small pieces

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and seasoning and mix it together thoroughly. In a separate small bowl, combine milk and egg. Slowly pour milk / egg mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients using a whisk to mix the dry and wet ingredients together (it helps prevent lumps) once the dry and wet ingredients are completely mixed add in the cheese, ham and broccoli and mix it all up again. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
When that 10 minutes is up, fill the mini muffin pan with the mixture and bake until golden brown on top, about 20-25 minutes.

 They should pop right out, and be fluffy and cheesy and super delicious. I will say they are best when eaten right out of the oven, but they are still pretty yummy when cooled to room temp. The only con of eating them at room temp is they are a bit more dense as the cheese has cooled. I initially made these for tiny mouths and hands which is why I used a mini muffin pan but you could just as easily use a regular muffin pan if you wanted. These would be great for making ahead of time and bringing on planes, trains, and automobiles when traveling. They are good for a work snack, and (if you eat enough of them) can serve as a whole meal. 

 Im working on a good dipping sauce for these, If you come up with something that would make a good dipping sauce, please let me know. Please try these out and let me know how you liked them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment